Thursday, September 4, 2014

Day Three: Goal for Improvement

Does it count as "on time" if I post before the next school day starts? Didn't think so.

Day Three: Discuss one "observation area" that you'd like to improve on for your teacher evaluation.

The area that I'd like to improve most in my teaching this year is in facilitating discussion.

I think my weakness in this area comes from a lack of preparation. I want the students to do the work with the text, come with the ideas, and this is a good thing. But the bad element is that I all too often expect this magic to happen on their own with a simple direction of "reread this paragraph and find a line that shows you something new about ________."

When I put the kids in charge, and we use a guiding question for a Socratic Seminar, and I request substantial preparation work, the discussions are strong. I just need to mandate the same substantial prep work of myself when I'm the one in the driver's seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment