Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Day 16: Superpower

Day 16: If you could have one superpower in the classroom, what would it be and how would it help?

There's a serious answer here, and a silly one.

My serious answer: I would love to stop the clock and let learning be when we are really in the flow, instead of marching to the dead beat of a bell all day long. Sometimes I need 85 minutes for a lesson so the students have time to practice, internalize, play. I would love to be able to stop the clock.

My silly answer: I would love to know when I'm really boring and no one is actually paying attention. Sometimes I know this because it's obvious. But there are other times when there are several student nodding along with me, and I delude myself into thinking that everyone is really engaged when I'm sure everyone is thinking about how I really should have worn a different cardigan or what lunch awaits or whether Jean is going to say yes to the ninth grade dance. And I love the instability and unpredictability of the ninth grade mind. But it would be awesome to just know for sure when every student in my room wishes I would just shut my mouth.

No comments:

Post a Comment